Search


Recent Meetings
Meeting Archives

Taste of Wolfe Island

Wolfe Island Classic Annual 5 & 10 K Run & Walk

Wolfe Island Network for a Healthy Community

Wolfe Island Community Centre

Wolfe Island Medical Clinic

Bike Wolfe Island

 

May 28, 2004

2004 May

WOLFE ISLAND BUSINESS AND TOURISM ASSOCIATION
www.wolfeisland.com

Minutes (amended) of Meeting held
18 May 04
at the United Church Hall

Download these minutes in Word Format

Attending: Executive: President – Jim Calvin;
Treasurer – Linda Thomas;
Secretary – Elise Huffman
Directors - Liz Crothers, David Colburn, Carol Doyle

Members: Margaret Knott, Keith Walton, Sandra McCready,
Jarda Zborovsky, Mostafa Ismail, Beth Caldwell,
Betty Ann Field, Chris Angenent, Sandy Hunter,
Kerryn Graham, Linda Van Hal

Meeting commenced at 7:02 pm

1. President’s Opening Remarks

Jim thanked everyone for attending the meeting and acknowledged that at this time of year everything seems to be coming to a head with the grand openings of the Information Centre, Alston Moor Golf Links and Big Sandy Bay.
The agenda will be modified slightly to allow Sandy Hunter to present his reports before having to leave.

2. Minutes

The minutes had not been posted to the website for members to review so approval was deferred to the June meeting.

3. Treasurer’s Report


Linda T has received word that the HRDC grant has been approved to hire 2 summer students for the Information Centre, one as an information clerk and the other for special projects. The students would be working for 10-12 weeks beginning mid June.

Jim noted that last year the students had been split the two duties and each had a project to be completed every 3 weeks. Ideas for projects for this year would be welcomed.

An interview/hiring committee to assist Linda Thomas was needed and the following people volunteered: Beth Caldwell, David Colburn and Carol Doyle. They agreed to meet soon to discuss the job description for posting.

Betty Ann Field asked to read the HRDC grant application. Linda T will email her a copy.

The bank account stands at approximately $22,000.00. This includes $3,000.00 from the Art in the Garden Tour sponsors and the Classic Road Race account. The brochure is the only large expense coming up at around $4,300.00, so the operating amount is around $14,000.00.

4a. Classic Road Race Report

Sandy noted that the numbers are slower coming in this year and forecasts that there will be 300 entrants. Last year’s numbers were an anomaly although a welcomed one! A bonus this year is that the Running Room has been conducting running/walking classes that culminate in a spring race which is the Wolfe Island race. This brings about 50 people to the race.

Organizational help is needed for next year’s race as Sandy would like to step down after 5 years as race director. He recommends that someone assist with this year’s race in order to learn the ropes. The organization requires a good 5 person team with volunteers on race day of about 10 per 100 runners. Sandy notes that people have been very good about volunteering their time on race day.

The skill sets to needed for an effective team include experience in the following:
(a) sales – local sponsors are needed
(b) people interaction – race day registration needs a calm person to keep the flow moving, host post race event
© an understanding of running – need to lay out the course, locate water stations, remeasure the course every year, work with the timers…
(d) time – see other races to compare their methods & organization, May is prime time for set up….

A new committee should be in place this June to work on next year’s race. Sandy will speak with Yelda to see if he is willing to assist this year.

A last note regarding sponsorship, Sandy will draft a note to be forwarded to members asking for their participation. An mailing to advertise the race will be sent out end of May and again in June. Contact Sandy at shmatrix@kingston.net.

4b. Interview: Horne’s Ferry

Bruce Horne and Sandy Hunter will be interviewed by WPBS for a radio and TV broadcast. The focus in on Horne’s Ferry it’s effects on Cape Vincent and Wolfe Island. It is also an opportunity to talk about other activities on the Island so brochures and information on WIBTA members has been provided to Sandy. Linda Van Hal will also give Sandy a brochure on Big Sandy Bay. The broadcast will be aired live at 8:00 pm, Wednesday 19 May 04. Betty Ann will put up posters in the village to alert people to watch the program.

4c. Brochure Report

The brochure is being distributed to members and information centers in the area. Again it was filled to capacity and the next committee will have to determine a new layout. There were a few changes to the headings to make it easier to locate specific businesses and was produced on glossy paper. There were several errors that escaped the editing and those people involved have been contacted. All members who indicated their desire to advertise in this year’s brochure were included. A new publications committee is in the making and there are a number of summer brochures like the What to do on Wolfe Island that need revision and publication. Interested members are to contact the Secretary.

4d. Bylaw Revisions Report

Linda Van Hal provided the update on further changes. It is the intent of the committee to meet and review in depth the final draft and forward it to members at least a week before the June meeting. They do not expect any substantive changes to be made at the June meeting, however a review is important and all members are encouraged to attend the June meeting before voting on adopting the new bylaws.

4e. Heritage Interviews

In all, 15 interviews have been completed but at this time not all of them have been transcribed. This aspect of the project may be continued as one of the special projects assigned to the summer students at the Information Centre. The committee would appreciate any and all suggestions on how to use these interviews in a final product. Linda also mentioned that funding was available to continue the project in the fall.

4f. Website Steering Committee

David Colburn reported that April had seen the greatest number of hits in the last four months and he expects it to increase as the summer approaches. The events form and business information forms have been loaded onto the site and a new member has completed the first one today.

There was discussion what was acceptable to advertise on the site ie. special events that will draw visitors, special sales at the stores etc. The committee will consider this and report at the June meeting.

David also noted that some off Island events were being added to the site in exchange for those organizations advertising our special events.

4g. Parks Report

Jim outlined how the original approach taken by the committee had not been progressing as quickly as had been anticipated so Cindy Day and Liz Crothers made a presentation to Council about forming a partnership. The Council expressed several concerns regarding unsupervised washrooms and extra work for the township staff but would consider the proposal.

Discussion ensued about the benefits of the parks to the community, the need to get a better sense from the community on the parks, possibly work on one park to see how it is received, the parks should be within walking distance of the ferry not spread around the Island, everyone is looking at Big Sandy Bay to see how it works, maybe assisting with the sitting park at the gatehouse of Big Sandy Bay, meet with the Community Centre Board to discuss their park improvement plans and maybe assist them, set up simple picnic table areas.

The idea for the parks has been a part of WIBTA’s plans for several years but it is struggling to move forward and without Council’s participation, it will not happen. The question is do the members want to continue and note that money has been raised for a community enhancement project.

Decision: The executive will meet before the June meeting to consider the following options:
(i) enhance Big Sandy Bay
(ii) work with Community Centre Board
(iii) develop a Memorial Park
(iv) put the money raised into a reserve fund for later use

4h. Fundraising Report

The bird sculpture for the raffle has been completed and place in front of the Information Centre. Liz noted that the picture on the tickets is not the actual bird. Tickets will be available at Dan Mosier’s and the kiosk by the weekend.

Liz reminded members that the first book sale is scheduled for 29/30 June 04 and more books would be welcomed.

A full page ad on the Art in the Garden Tour was being set up for the June issue of the Spotlight newspaper. It would also showcase16 business cards ads at $25 per card.

4i. Tourist Information Centre

The kiosk has been undergoing a facelift with new paint (Heritage colours) and furniture. Steve Roy designed, built and donated a beautiful new cherry wood counter, which set the tone for the rest of the decorating! Sophie Angenent sewed the curtains and cushion for the new bench that was donated at cost by Randall’s Paint store. A display board for the brochures is being constructed and the maps are being framed for display. The planters and benches to be donated by Ian Baines are awaiting design and cost approval and will be constructed by a resident carpenter. Chris Angenent put up the new awning to provide shade for the front of the kiosk. A new street stand and sign is awaiting approval to replace the large sandwich board. Donna Morton has agreed to clean the kiosk again this year.

Beth Caldwell reported on the volunteer situation. Last year’s volunteers received an invitation to return to the Centre this year and many have graciously agreed to help again. As well, all residents received a letter inviting them to join. A meeting for the volunteers was held to introduce the people involved in the Centre this year and discuss the plans, procedures, responsibilities and scheduling of all participants. Thanks to Beth and Steve McIntosh for the treats and all those that attended.

The schedule has been completed for the entire season, however the weekends still need to be filled, especially for the month of June. The students will be utilized to cover the weekends for Jul and Aug. Members are encouraged to volunteer one morning or afternoon to help cover the vacancies and maybe consider committing 2 days over the summer. Anyone interested in helping out, contact Beth. Without the support of the members and volunteers, it may be that next year someone will have to be hired to staff the kiosk. This however would take away from the essence of the Centre because the volunteers bring more to the job than time.

5. New Business:
5a. Canal

Cindy is the WIBTA representative on the committee and asks for support from members in putting forward the Association’s position on this issue. She will write a letter that indicates the need for this project to move forward and how this would meet the aims of the Association. It will not promote a specific option. This would provide valuable feedback to the Council as they continue to discuss plans for the canal. All members are encouraged to voice their thoughts on the canal project to Council as silence on the issue may result in the lack of action on the canal project.

5b. Frontenac CFDC

Linda Van Hal noted that Wolfe Island was very well represented at the grand opening of the FCFCC office, especially when you compare the size of our community to the rest of the county.

Meeting adjourned: 9:18 pm

NEXT MEETING: TUESDAY, 15 JUNE 04

Secretarial Note: Minutes were amended at 15 June 04 meeting. Cindy Day was absent from the meeting.